Is it dangerous if pilot light goes out on gas fireplace?

A pilot light may need to be re-lit from time to time after being extinguished on purpose or by accident. If it is accidentally extinguished, there exists a danger that the gas used to keep the flame lit will continue to vent, possibly into the living space.

Is it dangerous if stove pilot light goes out?

Due to the potential for toxic gas to escape, it is dangerous if a pilot light goes out on a gas stove or fireplace. As a result, you’ll likely want to replace your gas fireplace or stove with a new one that doesn’t rely on a pilot light.

Can a pilot light cause carbon monoxide poisoning?

A yellow or orange pilot light will produce carbon monoxide – an odourless, colourless gas that can fill your home and cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms of this condition include dizziness, headache, fatigue, nausea, unconsciousness, brain damage and death.

Will gas leak if pilot light goes out?

If the pilot light goes out on a storage or instantaneous hot water heater, space heater or a ducted heater, you will not have a gas leak. This is because all modern gas appliances with pilot lights have a fail-safe device that closes off the gas to the appliance in the case when the pilot may go out.

What do you do when the pilot light goes out on your fireplace?

What should I do when my pilot light goes out? If you notice your pilot light has gone out, the first thing you should do is shut off the gas feed and wait a few minutes. This will assure no excess gas has built up in the system or in the room.

Is it an emergency if the pilot light goes out?

If your pilot light repeatedly goes out, this is a likely culprit. If this flame sensor should fail, gas will continue to flow even after the pilot light has been extinguished, causing a safety hazard and requiring immediate repair.

Can you smell gas from a pilot light?

Why does my stove smell like gas? A faint propane smell may not be cause for alarm. It’s normal for a propane odor to linger when lighting a stove, or if the pilot light in a gas fireplace, hot water heater or other appliance goes out.

Can a stove cause carbon monoxide?

Like other fuel-burning appliances, a gas stove produces carbon monoxide so it can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. That said, this doesn’t necessarily mean your gas stove is unsafe, but it does mean you should be careful when using it.

Does leaving a gas stove on cause carbon monoxide poisoning?

Can Leaving A Gas Stove On Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning? Yes, leaving a gas stove on can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. All gas stoves emit carbon monoxide. That’s why it’s recommended to always turn on the exhaust vent when your gas stove is on.

Can a pilot light cause a fire?

A pilot light that is unlit for an extended amount of time can leak gas into your home, eventually causing a fire.