What is in FDC?
What is in FDC?
The FDC tablet will contain 300 mg tenofovir (TDF), 200 mg emtricitabine (FTC) and 600 mg efavirenz (EFV). This is a significant step forward for SA’s national ARV programme, as it enhances cost-effectiveness and simplifies the first-line regimen.
What is the new ARV?
The medication that is being tested this way is called lenacapavir. It works in a different way from existing anti-HIV drugs. It interferes with part of the HIV lifecycle – the assembly and disassembly of the HIV capsid, which is the ‘container’ for HIV’s genetic material.
What are the first-line Arvs?
The preferred first-line ART regimen is tenofovir disoproxil fumarate-lamivudine-dolutegravir (TLD) for those clients ini�a�ng ART, experiencing side-effects to EFV, or for those who prefer to use DTG after being given all the necessary informa�on.
What is FDC treatment?
An example of a fixed-dose combination (FDC) HIV drug is Atripla (a combination of efavirenz, emtricitabine, and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate). By reducing the number of pills a person must take each day, fixed-dose combination drugs can help improve adherence to an HIV treatment regimen.
What are the side effects of FDC?
Common side effects may include:
- dizziness, drowsiness, tired feeling;
- nausea, diarrhea;
- headache, depressed mood, trouble concentrating;
- sleep problems (insomnia), strange dreams;
- rash; or.
- changes in the shape or location of body fat (especially in your arms, legs, face, neck, breasts, and waist).
What are the side effects of the new ARV?
Other side effects from antiretroviral drugs can include:
- hypersensitivity or allergic reactions, with symptoms such as fever, nausea, and vomiting.
- bone loss.
- heart disease.
- high blood sugar and diabetes.
- lactic acidosis (high lactic acid levels in the blood)
- kidney, liver, or pancreas damage.
How many types of Arvs are there?
There are six main types (‘classes’) of antiretroviral drugs. Each class of drug attacks HIV in a different way. Generally, drugs from two (or sometimes three) classes are combined to ensure a powerful attack on HIV.